At least 100 American citizens trapped for months on two U.S. bases inside Kuwait are now free to leave their posts without the threat of being detained and jailed by local police, a source on one of the bases told FoxNews.com.Happy Independence Day, and not a moment too soon.
Kuwaiti authorities unjustly issued warrants for the arrest of the Americans, who worked as Arabic translators for U.S. Defense contractor, Global Linguist Solutions, after their employer ended a lucrative deal with its sponsoring Kuwaiti subcontractor, Al Shora International General Trading & Contracting, and signed on with another company.
When the contract ended Feb. 17, Al Shora refused to transfer the employees' visas to the new Kuwaiti subcontractor and falsely accused the Americans of being "runaways and absconders," Charles Tolleson, president of Global Linguist Solutions, told FoxNews.com last month. His company has barred workers from leaving the bases since May 31 to protect them from arrest and imprisonment.
Following FoxNews.com's June 18 report on the ordeal, the U.S. Embassy in Kuwait as well as the U.S. and Kuwaiti armies intervened in the matter. According to an American who was trapped at Camp Buehring, "We are now moving free and safe."
"We already started the process last week to be totally free and safe to leave the country," said the source, who spoke to FoxNews.com on condition of anonymity.
Thursday, July 04, 2013
A Kuwaiti extortion attempt ends: