Wednesday, February 26, 2014

A Man And His Pizza

He likes his pie:
Janssen, the founder of artisanal woodshop Imperium Woodcraft in Ellicott City, Md., was raised on a meat-and-potatoes diet but became a vegetarian for ethical reasons when he was 14 years old. There was just one problem with that.

"I hate vegetables,'' he said. "I tried for maybe a couple weeks, and then I realized the thing I really like is pizza, so I'm going to eat that."

And while many who have heard of his diet are nothing short of jealous, some are worried about his well-being.

"Eating the same food day in and day out can limit a person's ability to get a vast array of foods and nutrients he or she needs to optimize health and meet daily nutritional needs,'' said Elisa Zied, a New York-based dietitian/nutritionist and the author of "Younger Next Week." "While pizza tastes great and certainly has its virtues, subsisting on it and having little else in the diet is a recipe for an unhealthy, nutritionally-inadequate diet. Also, limiting foods/food groups can set you up for one boring diet."

Janssen eats plain pizza, but mixes it up with everything from frozen pizza to local pizza places to making his own.

"I love the nuance of pizza, so I try to vary it in different ways,'' he said. "Once a week to be healthy, I'll eat a bowl of Raisin Bran, but other than that it's just pizza."
man does not live by bread alone. But what about pizza dough?

No comments:

Post a Comment