Friday, September 30, 2016

The Director Speaks

Tim Burton on political correctness:
“Nowadays, people are talking about it more,” Burton said in a brief interview with Bustle when asked about the “lack of people of color” in his new movie Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children.

“Things either call for things, or they don’t,” he continued. “I remember back when I was a child watching The Brady Bunch and they started to get all politically correct, like, ‘Okay, let’s have an Asian child and a black’ – I used to get more offended by that than just – I grew up watching blaxploitation movies, right? And I said, that’s great. I didn’t go like, ‘Okay, there should be more white people in these movies.’”

Samuel L. Jackson, who stars in Burton’s new film, also defended the director when asked about the lack of diversity in his film’s casts.

“I had to go back in my head and go, how many black characters have been in Tim Burton movies?” said Jackson. “And I may have been the first, I don’t know, or the most prominent in that particular way, but it happens the way it happens.

“I don’t think it’s any fault of his or his method of storytelling, it’s just how it’s played out” he continued. “Tim’s a really great guy.”
What's wrong with just being weird?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Beware The Fake News

It's a sin: Now, we have no idea whether the pope is referring to Harvey Weinstein or Matt Lauer (we're guessing he doesn't keep...