Sunday, September 10, 2017

The Buzz Of Life

From a newly discovered Kurt Vonnegut story, about employment, and bees:
He was about 50—very tall, and handsome in a lazy, ornamental way. His hair was golden, his eyes blue, and he stroked his mustache with his little finger as he shook my hand.

“You come highly recommended,” he said.

“Thank you, sir,” I said.

He brought his finger away from his mustache, and I saw that his upper lip was swollen on one side, as fat as a Ping-Pong ball. He touched the swelling. “A bee,” he said.


“It must be very painful,” I said.


“It is,” he said. “I won’t deceive you about that.” He smiled sourly. “Don’t let anybody tell you this isn’t a woman’s world.”

“How’s that, sir?,” I said.

“Only a female bee can sting,” he said.

“Oh,” I said. “I didn’t know that about bees.”
Do not bees sting?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ditching The Grade

No more grades? “The grading system is pretty broken,” says Kate Reeser, Director at San Domenico School in San Anselmo. She and other adm...